[J3] A couple more ideas for features

Malcolm Cohen malcolm at nag-j.co.jp
Fri Apr 7 00:43:23 UTC 2023

> But it is true that Fortran has a relative paucity of symbols that can be used as operators

Not so. Fortran has a much larger set than other languages viz the .lettersequence. form has over 26**63 variations that are available. There are very few languages with more than 26**63 operators, and even fewer programs that could use that many.

> The other request was for a DO … UNTIL(cond)  to complement  DO WHILE(cond) …      I have no doubt that this request has come up before, so someone can quickly rattle off why it was not pursued

It is subsumed by the more general DO with EXIT. DO WHILE was only added for conformance with the widely-implemented MIL standard.

It would hardly even save any typing!

..............Malcolm Cohen, NAG Oxford/Tokyo.