[J3] dumb question about module use not inheriting into interfaces

Steve Lionel steve at stevelionel.com
Sat Aug 27 22:50:04 UTC 2022

On 8/27/2022 5:48 PM, Vipul Parekh via J3 wrote:

> And a practitioner does 'gfortran -fc-prototypes -fsyntax-only foo.f90
> > foo.h'.  She then gets (in addition to some fluff) in foo.h:
> typedef struct t {
>     int x;
> } t;
> void bar (int b);
> void baz (char *c);
> void foo (float *a);
> void qux (t *d);

I think this would be a great compiler feature, but I have a hard time
seeing how this would fit into the Fortran language definition. I know
ifort has a -gen-interfaces option to create a mini-module .f90 with
interface to a a Fortran external procedure, and other compilers may
have something similar. Extending this to a C prototype seems very
useful, but this would be well outside the scope of what a language
standard could define.

Steve