[J3] type definitions

Van Snyder van.snyder at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 13 20:46:35 UTC 2022

On Sat, 2022-08-13 at 14:38 -0500, Kurt W Hirchert via J3 wrote:
> On 8/10/2022 5:18 PM, Robert Corbett via J3 wrote:
>

> > Is the program
> >
> >       PROGRAM MAIN
> >         TYPE T
> >           REAL(KIND=KIND(X)) Y
> >         END TYPE T
> >       END
> >
> > standard conformant?
> >
> > What about the program
> >
> >       PROGRAM MAIN
> >         DOUBLE PRECISION X
> >         TYPE T
> >           REAL(KIND=KIND(X)) X
> >         END TYPE T
> >       END
> >
> > ?
> >
> > Some of the text in the Fortran 2008
> > standard and Corrigendum 1 that
> > applies to these programs seems to
> > be missing in the Fortran 2018
> > standard and the 2023 draft.
> >
> > Robert Corbett
> >
> Several people have said thought that both programs conform.  I come
> to a different conclusion, so I would appreciate it if people could
> point out where they disagree with my reasoning.  (It's been nearly
> two decades since I was on the committee, so my grasp of the fine
> details of the standard may not be what it used to be.)
> I see the first program as conforming, independent of the question of
> the "missing" text.  Since X is not declared explicitly, it is
> implicitly declared to be default real, so the KIND for Y is
> established regardless of the question of whether X is a part of T or
> of MAIN.  For reasons having nothing to do with this example, it is
> important that X not be part of T (because we don't want undeclared
> components in T), so I hope that Malcolm's comments that the
> "missing" text was unnecessary means that this is expressed more
> clearly somewhere else in the draft.  Could we get a hint as to
> where?
> I see the second program as not confirming.  The explicit declaration
> of a component X in T prevents T from accessing the X in MAIN by host
> association, so KIND(X) can only be referencing the component X, but
> this violates the requirement that the explicit declaration of X
> precede the KIND(X) reference.  I can imagine reasons why a compiler
> might fail to diagnose this, so I don't take compiler acceptance of
> this program as a strong indication of how the standard should be
> interpreted in this regard.
> Am I missing something?

I don't think the reference to KIND(X) in the second example is a
reference to the to-be-defined component. There is no syntax to
reference a component of a type from within the type, or indeed
anywhere else. Only the components of objects of the type can be
accessed, and then they need the <designator>% before the component
name.