[J3] [EXTERNAL] Syntax of conditional expressions

Clune, Thomas L. (GSFC-6101) thomas.l.clune at nasa.gov
Tue Jun 29 17:47:45 UTC 2021

I almost mentioned that possibility last night, but was unaware of any precedent.   I would certainly not object to that approach.

From: J3 <j3-bounces at mailman.j3-fortran.org> on behalf of j3 <j3 at mailman.j3-fortran.org>
Date: Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 1:25 PM
To: J3 List <j3 at j3-fortran.org>
Cc: Robert Corbett <rpcorbett at att.net>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [J3] Syntax of conditional expressions

The choice between the verbose and concise
forms of conditional expressions was very
close. I would not object to including both
forms in the language.  There is a precedent.
Algol 68 had both verbose and concise forms
of conditional expressions.  The extra
effort needed to implement two syntactic
forms instead of one is small.  I would use
only the concise form, but I would not have
trouble reading codes that used either form.

Robert Corbett