[J3] posts

Ondřej Čertík ondrej at certik.us
Mon Nov 11 14:18:50 EST 2019

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019, at 10:54 AM, Steve Lionel via J3 wrote:
> My suggestion for a standing document that captures suggestions for
> future revisions was simply that, not something that required plenary
> discussion. My goal was to not lose track of ideas that came in too late
> to be considered for the previous revision. (However, I don't think it
> should list suggestions previously rejected by J3/WG5 "for cause".)
>
> Ondrej and Gary have started a Github collection of other suggestions
> for future revisions, and I intend to mine that for ideas as well when
> the time comes. Since I wasn't at 220, I don't know what happened there,
> but I would not have expected 2Y features (other than generics) to take
> up plenary time there.

Here is the link:

https://github.com/j3-fortran/fortran_proposals/issues

Our goal is for each idea to have an issue so that it can be thoroughly discussed (including those proposals that are not good candidates for one reason or another, so that we have it documented why it's not a good idea). There are some really good ideas there.

I strongly suggest we open up the process so that ideas that are popular with the wider community are at least considered by the committee (they can still be rejected if the committee decides so).

Ondrej