[J3] (SC22WG5.6070) Fwd: Stan Whitlock has completed his life

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Tue Sep 4 12:21:10 EDT 2018

Quite a shocking sequence of events.    John, as usual, has the words just right.   I would add one more role Stan provided to J3 that John would not have personally experienced - Stan was the best mentor for new members.  He was generous with his time and always clear in explaining how things got done.  Indeed, he will be missed.

> On Sep 4, 2018, at 10:02 AM, John Reid via J3 <j3 at mailman.j3-fortran.org> wrote:
>
> Dear Carolyn, David, and Jen,
>
> Thank you so much for sharing your sad story with us all. It must have been a horrible shock to lose Stan so much sooner than you expected.
>
> I am so glad that Stan was able to get to the "geezers" meeting in June and that I was able to say "hello" to him. I wish I had spent more time with him then - yes, he was not well, but I did not expect his life to be so near its end.
>
> Stan has played a huge role in J3 and WG5 over many years. He was always supportive of what we were trying to do but if we asked for too much his was a voice of reason explaining the reasons. And of course he always spoke cogently and with presence. Outside the formal meetings, he worked diligently on the interpretations so that we always knew exactly where we were with them all, and there were a lot of them at times. It was a real pleasure working with him in my role of Convener whenever we prepared a corrigendum based on the interpretations that had passed all their milestones and were ready.
>
> All us in the world of Fortran standards will miss him dearly.
>
> Our thoughts are with you at this sad time.
>
> John Reid.
>

> Steve Lionel via J3 wrote:
>> (From Stan's wife, Carolyn)
>> *Stanley Jay Whitlock (Feb. 27, 1948 - Sept. 3, 2018)*
>> Dear Family and Friends,
>> Seven weeks ago, on July 9th, Stan had exploratory surgery on his neck in hopes of finding out what was causing the severe headaches and neck pain he had been having since the end of February/beginning of March.   As most of you know, the next week, we were told that he had metastasized pancreatic cancer cells in his neck.  On July 19th, he began a series of ten radiation treatments that we were told should kill the cancer cells in his neck and relieve his neck pain and headaches but not stop the cancer elsewhere in his body.
>> When those treatments were completed, Stan began chemotherapy on August 14th.  A few days after the first treatment, Stan fell at home.  That was the first of 7 falls over the next week.  On Sunday, August 19th, Stan fell again and hit his head on the hardwood floor.  He said it felt different this time and agreed to have the EMTs take him to the hospital.  He was there for three nights.  His oncologist told him it was time for him to go into hospice care; that he had six to nine weeks to live.  Needless to say, that was a shock to us all.
>> Stan was moved to the Community Hospice House in Merrimack, NH, on August 22nd.  The hospice doctor said she thought the timeline was shorter than the prediction of the hospital’s oncologist.  She lessened the time to four to six weeks.  That was 12 days ago.
> [...]

Bill Long                                                                       longb at cray.com
Principal Engineer, Fortran Technical Support &   voice:  651-605-9024
Bioinformatics Software Development                      fax:  651-605-9143
Cray Inc./ 2131 Lindau Lane/  Suite 1000/  Bloomington, MN  55425