[J3] RE #217 - what does Passed mean for papers with requirements?

Malcolm Cohen malcolm at nag-j.co.jp
Fri Oct 19 07:39:59 EDT 2018

Hi Anton,

Passed means “continue to work on”.

Specifically for “templates”, there are at least three competing approaches for “generic programming”.  No decision has been taken as to which one should be put forward.  Some progress has been made on all three/four approaches at this meeting, but only templates has a specific paper.  Specific papers for all approaches will be debated at the next meeting.

As /DATA was very busy this meeting (with many other topics not just generic programming), and /HPC had a very light workload, /HPC helpfully worked on templates, and that’s why there is a specific paper – to communicate their work to /DATA and the rest of the committee.  The work /DATA did (mostly on the other approaches, though we debated templates as well) is all in our heads – unfortunately we didn’t have time to make papers as well as debate the issues.  (Though Tom Clune may have a paper in the post-meeting if we’re lucky.)

Cheers,