(j3.2006) [Fwd: RE: Notification of 2018 INCITS Membership Fees and Invoicing Schedule]

Van Snyder Van.Snyder
Wed Aug 30 15:30:23 EDT 2017

Lynn:

When I asked who at JPL should sign the INCITS membership agreement, one
of my line managers responded:

> I quickly read this and seriously doubt ANYONE at jpl will sign it.
> INCITS says it is an ADVOCACY organization on behalf of its members.
> AGU is also an adovcacy org and does not ask that we AGU members sign
> ON BEHALF of JPL. Ditto for IEEEE. So what do they advocate? All the
> lawyers for Caltech and JPL would have to agree to this, and I
> seriously doubt they will.

If you change the membership agreement so that it states that for
purposes of this membership, INCITS is an ANSI contractor responsible
for programming language standards, there is some chance that somebody
will sign it.

There is some question whether it is legal for any US Government agency
or contractor to pay for a membership in an advocacy organization.

Otherwise, I shall be required to relinquish my membership as a
representative of Caltech Jet Propulsion Laboratory.  At your current
price, I shall not join PL22.3 as a private member.

Van