(j3.2006) STAT arguments to intrinsics inconsistent

Bill Long longb
Thu Aug 24 09:20:22 EDT 2017

> On Aug 24, 2017, at 3:09 AM, Malcolm Cohen <malcolm at nag-j.co.jp> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> For the atomics, STAT is required to have a decimal range of at least 4.
>
> The same is true of the collectives and EVENT_QUERY.
>
> EXITSTAT has to have a decimal range of at least 9, but CMDSTAT is 4.  I don?t object to that.
>
> STATUS is also range 4.
>
> In MOVE_ALLOC, STAT is required to be default integer.  I *do* object to that.
>
> I think we should change MOVE_ALLOC to be the same as all the other STAT arguments, i.e. decimal range of at least four.

That is reasonable.

However, there is a related problem.  The likely error conditions for MOVE_ALLOC are the same as the errors for ALLOCATE and DEALLOCATE.  The STAT= specifier for those statements  (R929) is only required to be an integer, which is a real mistake. We need a constraint on R929 to require at least  4 digits there as well.

We need to be consistent in requiring status variables to have a decimal range of at least 4, whether it is a STAT argument or a STAT= specifier.  Allowing a single-byte integer in those cases is just not workable.