(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.5939) Convener's report from SC22 meeting

John Reid John.Reid
Thu Aug 17 16:58:07 EDT 2017

Bill Long wrote:

>> I should have explained that the "electronic meetings platform" is for
>> registering for a meeting.
>
> Thanks for the clarification,
>
>> It means that ISO will know exactly who the
>> attendees are.
>
> Alternatively, they could read the minutes in which there is a list of the people attending.

Hum. I need to be more precise. I should have learnt that lesson by now!
I meant to say "It means that ISO can control who the
attendees are".

> If all we have to do is lick ?JOIN?, I don?t see a problem.  INCITS/ANSI/BSI/... will have to send a list of approved joiners before the meeting.  Will a new list be needed for each meeting?  Or will being certified once be good for all future meetings?

You can only do this if ISO have been told that you are a member of your
national body, which usually means that you have paid a sub. I think
money lies at the heart of this.

> This does seem at odds with the whole idea of us being a ?panel of experts? rather than representatives of specific countries.

Yes, indeed.

John.

   I guess the main substance to that idea is that we no longer have
country votes at the WG5 level.