(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.5938) Convener's report from SC22 meeting

John Reid John.Reid
Thu Aug 17 13:11:20 EDT 2017

Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>> HI John,
>>
>> Your SC22 report included:
>>
>> "ISO has introduced an electronic meetings platform, which I have chosen to
>> ignore because it does not address any problem that WGs have, but rather gives
>> them difficulties. Unfortunately, it will be obligatory from 1 October."
>>

>> Does 'obligatory'? mean that during WG5 mode at joint meetings, we will be obligated to look only at each other through pictures on our laptops, and speak to each other only via the internet?    This is the popular 'Millennial' mode of communication where two people stand facing each other or sit across from each other, but communicate only via a joint  facetime session on their iPhones.  For the purposes of WG5, that seems less effective than actually employing direct speaking between people, which is also a more familiar form of communication for most of the WG5 members.

I should have explained that the "electronic meetings platform" is for
registering for a meeting. It means that ISO will know exactly who the
attendees are. It might mean, for example, that if the meeting is in one
of its building, a national standards body might restrict access to
these people. You are right to say that a way round might be to use
electronic communication, but making it joint with J3 seems better.

>> Cheers,
>> Bill
>
> I guess they probably have lofty ideas, such as
> widening participation, inclusion, etc.,
> so people who are unable to attend in person
> must be allowed to participate via some other means,
> a bit like Damian's participation at Garching via skype.
>
> Anyway, what happens if WG5 ignores this, or another, rule?
> I guess unless somebody complains to ISO(?) that they
> are unable to participate productively, we can do
> whatever we please.

The ultimate sanction is that our standard will not be accepted. But
don't get too upset by this new rule. I think we can live with it.

Cheers,

John.