(j3.2006) [Fwd: Beating floating point at its own game]

Clune, Thomas L. GSFC-6101 thomas.l.clune
Mon Aug 14 17:06:44 EDT 2017

I agree with many of the points that Kahan made, but it seems to me that he?s overstating some of the concerns just a bit.      The book was written for a less technical audience and was unabashedly selling something.

My biggest technical objection was that the coffin approach does not scale very well to 100 dimensions.   Sampling among 2^100 boxes for a 100 species chemical solver might scale well if I had a google (the number, not the company) of processs, but it will take forever to run on a billion cores.  :-)