(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.5931) Comments on some of the comments

Bill Long longb
Fri Aug 11 11:39:07 EDT 2017

Each image has its own instance of a declared team variable (as it the case for any variable). As John and the TS noted, the idea that team variable values would be different among the images of a team was part of the design all along.   There are a couple of basic reasons for this.

1) The FORM TEAM statement is how team variables are normally defined (apart from copying the value via assignment of an already-defined team variable).   All the team-related information is returned to the program via the team variable specified in the FORM TEAM statement.  That includes, for example, the index of the image in the new team.  Different  value for each image (one hopes).  Other information that would be computed by FORM TEAM, such as the identities of the images above and below the executing image in a reduction tree, are also image-specifiec.  Pretty much the only team information items that are the same are the number of images in the team, the team number, and the pointer to the parent team.

2) It would conceivable to put the information for all the images in the team into each team variable.  There would still be the problem of identifying the index of the local image, but the real problem is that this scheme scales horribly for large numbers of images.   Just not practical.