(j3.2006) associate name

Rafik Zurob rzurob
Fri Apr 28 13:05:28 EDT 2017

Hi Bill

Section 8.1.3.3 "Other attributes of associate names" contains:  "The
lower bound of each dimension is the result of the intrinsic function
LBOUND (13.8.100) applied to the corresponding dimension of selector."  So
lbound(assoc_name) is defined as lbound(x), and lbound(x) as you pointed
out requires that x be associated.

Regards

Rafik

j3-bounces at mailman.j3-fortran.org wrote on 28/04/2017 12:05:04 PM:

> From: Bill Long <longb at cray.com>
> To: fortran standards email list for J3 <j3 at mailman.j3-fortran.org>
> Date: 28/04/2017 12:05 PM
> Subject: (j3.2006) associate name
> Sent by: j3-bounces at mailman.j3-fortran.org
>
> Consider
>
> real,pointer :: x(:)
>
> associate (assoc_name => x)
>   print *, lbound(assoc_name), ubound(assoc_name)
> end associate
>
> end
>
> The rules for LBOUND and UBOUND require that the argument be
> associated if it is a pointer.  But the assoc_name is not a pointer
> according to the f2015 text. It?s just a variable with the TARGET
> attribute.  And it is a rank-1 array.  But, clearly, does not have
> sensible bounds defined.   Is this a case we missed, or is there
> some other rule I?m no seeing that prohibits these lbound and ubound
> references?
>
> Cheers,
> Bill
>
> Bill Long
> longb at cray.com
> Principal Engineer, Fortran Technical Support &   voice:  651-605-9024
> Bioinformatics Software Development                      fax:
651-605-9143