(j3.2006) Announcement from NA Digest

Bill Long longb
Thu Mar 17 09:18:46 EDT 2016

On Mar 15, 2016, at 11:11 PM, Robert Numrich <numri001 at umn.edu> wrote:

> bill, et al.
>
> Admittedly, this workshop seems rather strange, but I wouldn?t dismiss it too quickly.
> From their list of topics, it is hard to determine what problem they are trying to solve, but
> we should try to find out what it is before ridiculing their effort.  It sounds somewhat like harkening back
> to Fortran vectorization work done at Illinois many years ago, which never amounted to much, done by
> David Kuck and David Padua.

I looked at the links for some of the organizers - it seems like Python and GPU?s are on their radar.  If that?s your world, then there probably is a need.

> Perhaps someone on the Fortran committee should submit a paper describing modern Fortran and pointing
> out, for example, that we have invented a new kind of array that is very useful for parallel programming.
> And that the object-oriented features of Fortran allow people to design whatever complicated data structure
> they want, like tensor objects, while still maintaining the performance advantages of contiguous Fortran arrays.

Someone to enlighten them on what is built into Fortran would be useful.  I think that layering on OOP is a distraction in this case - that?s the kind of thing you have to resort to in C++ or Python, but it is an unnecessary obfuscation in Fortran.   Operator and assignment overloading and generic procedures are all available without this complication.