(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.5769) RE: Other languages with unit support

Bill Long longb
Sun Jul 10 10:22:20 EDT 2016

On Jul 10, 2016, at 12:04 AM, Van Snyder <van.snyder at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> On Sun, 2016-07-10 at 04:38 +0000, Whitlock, Stan wrote:
>
>> I echo Bill?s sentiment ? you need to stop crying in the wilderness
>> about units.  The majority is unconvinced, you lost the argument,
>> please stop beating a dead horse.
>
> You guys asked for evidence that people want support for units checking.
> I did a little bit of checking and found a little bit of evidence.  Now
> you tell me to shut up.  When I find more, instead of saying "shut up"
> will you start shouting?

I can see a positive outcome of the exercise.  You have uncovered two free packages, CamFort for Fortran and tuoml for C++, that provide units support.  Assuming that NASA is as concerned about units as we?ve been led to believe, these will certainly be required immediately and the NASA problem is solved.  So the committee can finally stop discussing units and move on.  Thanks, Van, for providing final closure on this issue.