(j3.2006) Questions about passed-object dummy argument

Van Snyder van.snyder
Thu Dec 1 01:46:25 EST 2016

On Thu, 2016-12-01 at 15:31 +0900, Cohen Malcolm wrote:
> > But the
> >constraint is the other way around, and doesn't mention elementality.
>
> It does not need to.  The constraint has that effect.

Sure.  But working out that C1536 implies that the invoked procedure is
necessarily elemental requires proving a theorem involving C761, which
is eight clauses distant.  It would be clearer to say so.  I'd prefer
something like

C1536 If the invoked procedure is elemental and the <data-ref> is an
      array, the binding shall have a passed-object dummy argument.

This also more explicitly allows the case of the binding getting a
passed-object dummy argument without either PASS or NOPASS appearing,
which isn't obvious from the current wording.