(j3.2006) Multiple & on free-form continuation?

Lionel, Steve steve.lionel
Wed Aug 27 14:57:41 EDT 2014

Ian Harvey sent me the following amusing source:

  PRINT "(A)", 'There is something ' & &

    // 'wrong with this statement.'

END

and noted that Intel Fortran failed to diagnose this as an error. I can read
the words in the standard as not disallowing this. 3.3.2.4 says:

If a noncharacter context is to be continued, an "&" shall be the last
nonblank character on the line, or the last nonblank character before an
"!".

An & is the last nonblank character, just not the only &. I don't see any
words that prohibit multiple "&" characters at the end of a continued line.

gfortran doesn't like this one.

Also interesting:

  PRINT "(A)", "Is there something & &

& wrong with this statement?"

Intel Fortran accepts this and treats the first & as an ordinary character -
gfortran does the same, and I think I can justify this from the text in
paragraph 4.

Is the first case interp fodder?

Steve Lionel

Intel Developer Support