(j3.2006) free source form continuations

Malcolm Cohen malcolm
Sun Aug 10 21:54:07 EDT 2014

I agree with everything Kurt wrote, in particular:

> I am inclined to agree with the user that the lack of a confirming & on the
> second line implies that the two lines cannot be be one token (based on the
> requirement of 3.3.2.4p3).  I see nothing in 3.3.2.4p2 that contradicts this.
> However, the fact that clever consideration of 3.3.2.4p3 makes these two
> separate tokens doesn't eliminate the requirement of 3.3.2.2p2 that there be a
> blank between the two tokens, so the program is not standard conforming.

and

>I could imagine some future revision of the standard extending 3.3.2.4p3 so the
>absence of the confirming & would be considered equivalent to a blank between
>the two lines (as opposed to a revision that removed the requirement in
>3.3.2.4p3).

I note we already have "The end of a record has the effect of a blank, except
when it appears within a character constant." (list-directed input), so
following that rule for source form as well would be nicely consistent.

................................Malcolm Cohen, Nihon NAG, Tokyo.