(j3.2006) Problem with IEEE_Arithmetic

Van Snyder Van.Snyder
Mon Aug 4 20:36:11 EDT 2014

I am trying to bring code from two groups together.

One of them has its own IEEE_Arithmetic module.

The other one has "use, intrinsic :: IEEE_Arithmetic".

When I try to link, at least with the compilers I use, it appears that
the hand-written IEEE_Arithmetic module and the intrinsic one have the
same mangled name.

11.2.2p3 says that if the module nature is not specified, and both a
nonintrinsic module and an intrinsic module with the same name exist,
the nonintrinsic module is accessed.  So when I bring the two sets of
code together, I access both modules.

16.2p1 says that module names are global identifiers, and 16.2p2 says
that global identifiers have to be unique.

These two paragraphs conspire to cause the problem I'm having trying to
bring code from two groups together.

Processors need to know the difference between intrinsic and
nonintrinsic modules to make USE association work.  Would it be an
insurmountable burden for them to arrange that the linker knows the
difference too?

Can we add an exception to 16.2p1 that allows two global identifiers to
be the same, if one is the identifier of an intrinsic module and the
other is the identifier of a nonintrinsic module?

If so, should we do it as an interp, or a work item?