(j3.2006) Fwd: JTC 1 N 12032 - Communication from JTC 1 Chair and Secretariat Concerning WG Participation - What Having Experts, Not NB Delegations to the WG, Means to You

Bill Long longb
Mon Apr 21 19:27:21 EDT 2014

On Apr 21, 2014, at 5:56 PM, David Muxworthy <d.muxworthy at bcs.org.uk> wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2014, at 20:52, Bill Long wrote:
>
>> I?m not sure what this means:
>> "it was noted that WG experts now have access to WG level documents in Livelink. "
>>

>> partly because I have never heard of ?Livelink?.
>
> Livelink is the database system behind the ISO document website,

Thanks for the info, David.

> see for example the list of SC22 documents at
> http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink?func=ll&objid=8917444&objaction=ndocslist

Which is somewhat unsightly.  However, I tried clicking on one of the PDF pictures to see how easy it was to actually read a document, and was switched to a ?LOGIN? window.  Apparently, the main function here is to prevent access.   Seems particularly unhelpful.

> It is also used by BSI for their document distribution to committee members.
>
> Is there any prohibition on WGs operating their own websites and email systems
> in parallel with ISO ones?  Certainly in my experience in BSI everyone uses the
> email systems that have been going for over 25 years rather than the nasty
> cumbersome ones provided by Livelink.

This certainly seems like a reasonable solution.