(j3.2006) TS18508: CO_REDUCE - and allocatable/pointer components

Tobias Burnus burnus
Wed Apr 9 17:22:17 EDT 2014

Reading N2007 permits the following as argument to CO_REDUCE:

"SOURCE shall not be polymorphic. It shall have the same type and type
parameters on all images of the current team"

When I think of an implementation, I would transfer on one image the
variable of a remote image and then invoke the intrinsic function using
the local and the fetched variable.

However, the fetching of the variable becomes way more complicated when
the SOURCE= argument is permitted to be a derived type with allocatable
and - in particular - pointer components. Those components could also be
polymorphic which makes things even more complicated.

Was it intended to permit that much? Or did I miss some fine print?

Tobias