(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.5110) [ukfortran] WG5 letter ballot 7 onFortran 2008interpretations

Malcolm Cohen malcolm
Thu Oct 24 22:53:03 EDT 2013

Craig Dedo writes:
>I strongly disagree with Malcolm?s interpretation

I did not make any interpretation, I merely reported how other people frequently
found the constraint notation confusing, and the ways in which they were
confused.  Quoting the standard does not prove that people are not confused!

Obviously I will not agree that ambiguous text with "special notation" is easier
to understand than properly written unambiguous text.

But seeing as how no-one is proposing a wholesale rewrite of our constraints to
make them clearer and easier to understand (though it might be a very good
idea!), there is no point in debating such a thing.

................................Malcolm Cohen, Nihon NAG, Tokyo.