(j3.2006) Contracts for future meetings

Craig Dedo craig
Thu Oct 17 09:32:24 EDT 2013

Hi Van and Everyone Else:

            Yes, definitely.  This is the default parliamentary rule for a group to
approve any kind of contract.

            The only exception is if there is explicit standing authority for a member to
approve contracts on behalf of the group.  This standing authority must be explicitly
granted by a resolution approved by the group in advance and recorded in full in the
minutes.  It cannot be implied or assumed.

            Considering the nature of hotel contracts, I strongly advise the members of J3
to explicitly vote on approving them at the upcoming meeting.  Van, if you still cannot
make it to the meeting because of the shenanigans in Washington, DC, then you should
convert the contracts to either word processing documents or else graphic PDF files and
send them to the voting members.

            I know a little about contract law as a result of taking a one semester course
in business law when I earned my MBA.  It would not be prudent for a member to approve
contracts like these on his or her own initiative or only on a verbal say-so.  Explicit
approval is very definitely the way to go.

            Please feel free to contact me at any time with any questions or concerns that
you may have.  I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Craig T. Dedo

17130 W. Burleigh Place

P. O. Box 423                         Mobile Phone:  (414) 412-5869

Brookfield, WI   53008-0423    E-mail:  < <mailto:craig at ctdedo.com> craig at ctdedo.com>

USA

Linked-In:   <http://www.linkedin.com/in/craigdedo> http://www.linkedin.com/in/craigdedo