(j3.2006) Comment concerning TEAM_TYPE

Bill Long longb
Mon Oct 7 19:02:31 EDT 2013

On 10/7/13 5:36 PM, Van Snyder wrote:
> For LOCK_TYPE and EVENT_TYPE, it is specified that all components have
> default initialization.  This means that one can use the type
> constructor.

For LOCK_TYPE and EVENT_TYPE it makes sense to have initialized
components because you want to be able to do an EVENT WAIT on an event
variable that is not otherwise defined yet, or have a lock variable
properly initialized for correct detection of wrong usage.  Those sorts
of arguments do not seem to apply to a TEAM_TYPE object. What team would
it be initialized to?  A NULL team with no images?  It seems unhelpful
to introduce a concept just for the benefit of enabling initialization.

Given the restrictions on the usage of things declared TEAM_TYPE, of
what use is a type constructor?

> This is not specified for TEAM_TYPE.
>
> The TS ought to say explicitly that they all do have default
> initialization, or that there is at least one that does not, so users
> will know whether the type constructor can be used.

I assume that the default is always that things are not default
initialized, but that could be stated explicitly.