(j3.2006) IMPLICIT TYPE(*)

Bader, Reinhold Reinhold.Bader
Fri Mar 1 12:33:02 EST 2013

Given that IMPLICIT is followed by a <declaration-type-spec>, the following should be valid in F2008:

module mod_upimp
  type :: foo
     integer :: i
  end type
end module
program upimp
  use mod_upimp
  implicit class(foo) (a-b)
  implicit class(*) (c)
  allocatable :: aaf, caf
  allocate(aaf, source=foo(2))
  allocate(caf, source=foo(3))
  select type (aaf)
  type is (foo)
    write(*,*) aaf
  end select
  select type (caf)
  type is (foo)
    write(*,*) caf
  end select
end program

although only one of the compilers at my disposal accepts this. If this code is valid, I see no reason why IMPLICIT TYPE(*) (...) shouldn't be.

Regards
Reinhold