(j3.2006) paper 13-228

Van Snyder Van.Snyder
Tue Feb 5 20:05:44 EST 2013

On Wed, 2013-02-06 at 09:45 +0900, Malcolm Cohen wrote:
> >Or if the procedure has only one argument and no other
> >access to data outside the procedure (no USE or COMMON or host
> >association) then the target of the corresponding actual argument
> >pointer could be modified by the procedure and still have a
> conforming
> >procedure.
>
> You seem to be thinking it is being modified through that dummy
> argument, which was not the intent of my wording "target of the
> pointer result is modified".  I meant that to imply that it was being
> modified "other than through that dummy argument".
>
> I left those words out because I thought it clear enough, this is only
> describing the exception not establishing any requirement, and the
> paragraph is already quite long, ... but if it's causing confusion we
> can easily put those words back in.

A reference to 12.5.2.13 might help to reduce the size of a more precise
explanation.  Maybe something more along the lines of "because in
Fortran 2008 the actual argument is associated with a variable, actions
that affect the value of that argument shall not be taken except through
that argument (12.5.2.13)."