(j3.2006) Partial write in record with nonadvancing I/O

Malcolm Cohen malcolm
Tue Feb 28 20:10:10 EST 2012

On 02/28/2012 03:03 AM, Van Snyder wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 16:11 -0800, Robert Corbett wrote:
>> The Fortran standard defines what the program I posted to
>> comp.lang.fortran should write (ignoring the possibility of
>> processor-defined input/output error conditions). What do you think
>> should be defined more precisely?
> I disagree that the standard defines what the program ought to write.

I disagree with your disagreement.  The standard is reasonably clear on this.

Did you actually read the interps referenced?

Asserting that it is ambiguous does not make it so - show the ambiguity.

Tobias Burnus wrote:
>I concur with Van. I think the standard is ambiguous and that there are
>four different outputs for the same program - each supported by several
>compilers - exists, underlines this.

Nonsense.  It just shows people don't bother to hurry to fix bugs in cases that
affect very few users.  Indeed, probably no-one has complained for the majority
of them!  It is very obvious that several of the different outputs are not
conforming.

Again, neither of you has actually explained any ambiguity.  Perhaps because
there is none.

>I therefore would like to submit an interpretation request. Attached is
>a draft version - comments are welcome.

The committee is not obliged to keep answering the same question.

BTW, we all have copies of the standard, regurgitating quotes from it does not
an argument make.

................................Malcolm Cohen, Nihon NAG, Tokyo.