(j3.2006) Partial write in record with nonadvancing I/O

Robert Corbett robert.corbett
Mon Feb 27 19:58:59 EST 2012

On 02/27/12 01:19, Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> at comp.lang.fortran, Bob Corbett queried what the different compilers output
> for the following program - and the replies showed that the results vary a lot. Cf.
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.fortran/browse_thread/thread/694050b1806da367
>
> (I assume that he intended to post it here or write an IR.)

No, I did not intend to post the program to this mailing
list.  I did not intend to write an interpretation request.
The answers to interpretation requests 000024 and 000027
against the Fortran 95 standard answered any questions I
might have had about what the output of the program should
be.

I have known for about a decade that the implementation I
help support does not implement nonadvancing i/o as
required by interpretations 000024 and 000027.  I recently
started working on fixes for our implementation.  After
about a day, I realized that the fixes would require much
more work than I had originally thought.  I was curious how
other implementations handled some of the hard cases, which
resulted in my posting on comp.lang.fortran.

Bob Corbett