(j3.2006) Partial write in record with nonadvancing I/O

Robert Corbett robert.corbett
Mon Feb 27 19:11:40 EST 2012

On 02/27/12 12:50, Van Snyder wrote:
> I have a vague recollection that at least some processors prohibited
> read-after-write and write-after-read without an intervening REWIND
> statement.  As far as I can determine, there's no such prohibition in
> any standard.
The C standard imposes a similar prohibition.  The Fortran standard
permits a processor to signal an input/output error condition for
cases that are difficult or impossible to handle.
> But... did we really intend that write-after-nonadvancing-read would be
> permitted?  If so, we really ought to define it more precisely.

The Fortran standard defines what the program I posted to
comp.lang.fortran should write (ignoring the possibility of
processor-defined input/output error conditions).  What do
you think should be defined more precisely?

Bob Corbett