(j3.2006) Partial write in record with nonadvancing I/O

Van Snyder Van.Snyder
Mon Feb 27 15:50:27 EST 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 01:19 -0800, Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> at comp.lang.fortran, Bob Corbett queried what the different compilers output
> for the following program - and the replies showed that the results vary a lot. Cf.
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.fortran/browse_thread/thread/694050b1806da367
>
> (I assume that he intended to post it here or write an IR.)
>
> Which output(s) do you believe are standard conforming?
>
> The program is the following and I think looking at the created file is even more
> informative than looking at the OUTPUT_UNIT output of the program:
>
> !----------------------------------------------
>       PROGRAM MAIN
>         CHARACTER*12 STR
>         OPEN (10, FILE='XXX', POSITION='REWIND')
>         WRITE (10, '(A)') 'ABCDEFGHIJKL'
>         REWIND 10
>         READ (10, '(TR4)', ADVANCE='NO')
>         WRITE (10, '(TL2, A)', ADVANCE='NO') 'MNOP'
>         REWIND 10
>         READ (10, '(A)') STR
>         PRINT '(A)', STR
>       END

I have a vague recollection that at least some processors prohibited
read-after-write and write-after-read without an intervening REWIND
statement.  As far as I can determine, there's no such prohibition in
any standard.

But... did we really intend that write-after-nonadvancing-read would be
permitted?  If so, we really ought to define it more precisely.