(j3.2006) Final subroutines and coarrays

Bill Long longb
Mon Feb 6 09:04:10 EST 2012

On 2/5/12 8:59 AM, Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> if I correctly read the F2008 standard, one is allowed to have a FINAL
> subroutine with a dummy argument which is a coarray. If one has such a
> variable, it would be only finalized if it is a coarray. (or if the
> variable is an array and there is an elemental FINAL subroutine).

I think there may be a defect/omission in the standard here.  You are
not allowed to have an elemental FINAL routine with a coarray argument
(C1289).  A coarray dummy argument to a nonelemental FINAL routine seems
problematic.  Coarray and a TKR compatible noncoarray dummy argument are
not distinguishable for the purposes of generic resolution since a
coarray actual can correspond to either a coarray or a noncoarray dummy.
   So, allowing a coarray dummy argument would seem to rule out the
possibility of having a nonelemental FINAL routine for noncoarray
objects of the type. I don't think we really intended that.  Further, I
don't see a benefit to having a coarray dummy for a FINAL routine.  The
standard should have disallowed it.