(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.4543) [ukfortran] Comments on the technical content of the coarray TS

N.M. Maclaren nmm1
Wed Sep 28 07:10:44 EDT 2011

On Sep 28 2011, John Reid wrote:

> In N1868, I asked for comments on the contents of the TS on further
> coarray features by 23 September. I have only received four, see the
> draft paper attached. Would anyone else like to comment? I will be
> talking about this at the BCS Fortran Group AGM tomorrow and hope to
> solicit some comments to add.

Sorry about that.  NO, with comments.

I have not had time to think about this area, but I agree with Reinhold
Bader and Robert Numrich, for similar reasons to them.  I have rechecked
the WG5 Garching minutes and, while we did not formally agree to Reinhold's
point (2), I recall there being a consensus that it was a necessary step
within J3.  From my experience of MPI and OpenMP, Robert has pointed out
the two most difficult parts of N1858 to specify semantically, unless we
both have missed something subtle.

We need to go cautiously, and watch out for the semantics.  Specifying
the syntax is the easy bit.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.