(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.4568) [ukfortran] WG5 letter ballot 2 on Fortran 2008interpretations

Malcolm Cohen malcolm
Tue Oct 18 23:27:36 EDT 2011

Reinhold Bader asks
<<<
F08/0023: The wording for the suggested replacement text appears a bit
          strange to me. It is maybe more complicated than necessary.
          Would not

         "A pointer that is used in any iteration either shall be
          previously pointer-assigned, allocated, or nullified in the
          same iteration or shall not have its pointer association
          changed during any other iteration."

          be sufficient?

The answer is no, unless you are mentally excluding a set of uses from "used" -
and in that case it is not clear which uses you are excluding!  That's why the
edit spells out the exclusions.

I will agree the words are a bit clunky, but making them more vague in the hope
that everyone agrees on the unstated assumptions is not an improvement.

................................Malcolm Cohen, Nihon NAG, Tokyo.