(j3.2006) binding labels and global identifiers

Van Snyder Van.Snyder
Wed Jun 22 14:18:44 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 01:44 -0700, Malcolm Cohen wrote:

> >> underscore to the end of a procedure name.  The irony is that the
> >> convention of adding an underscore was designed to prevent (accidental)
> >> interoperability.
> >
> > This was a bad idea from the outset.  It's a shame it got perpetuated.
>
> That's your opinion.  I disagree; while not the name mangling scheme I would
> have designed if starting from scratch, it is a reasonable one.

Fortran 90 needs to compose names for module procedures, but I don't
understand why any processor, either pre-Fortran 90 or post-Fortran 90,
needs to mangle names of external procedures.

I can't imagine how I got along for a decade on the 7094, and two on the
1108, without any name mangling.