(j3.2006) binding labels and global identifiers

mickistjames at gmail.com mickistjames
Sun Jun 19 03:36:05 EDT 2011

Robert Corbett wrote:

> Is the program presented above intended to be standard-
> conforming?

I would agree with Malcolm and answer no.

R303 says that underscores may be used as a significant
character in a name, but I see no provision for low lines,
so if "_" in a binding label is a low line then the functionality
to bind to C names with underscores is simply missing.

Okay, that may have been a joke, but
"subr_" is not a name in the line
REAL, BIND(C, NAME="subr_") :: x = 0.1
it is a scalar-char-initialization-expr or some such, so
an implementation that wants to outlaw scalar-char-initialization-expr's
that mimic linker-constructed names with low lines would seem
to be on narrow but reasonable ground. Is there any expectation that
absolutely
any initialization expr is legal? Seems like control characters
are legal in initialization expr's but not in names, if so that would
already be a special case to handle.

Micki