(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.4482) [ukfortran] Added atomic

Bill Long longb
Fri Jun 17 17:02:59 EDT 2011

On 6/17/11 3:54 PM, N.M. Maclaren wrote:
> On Jun 17 2011, Bill Long wrote:
>>
>> The list of comments on the coarray TR from Rice suggested adding a SWAP
>> atomic subroutine.    The list in 11-200 includes all of the "common"
>> atomic operations except one: atomic andxor. I'm inclined to add that
>> one, which would make SWAP unnecessary. Or we could add both.  For those
>> who are not big amo users...

>> If this is added, is there a need for a separate atomic_swap?
>
> Swapping works reliably and portably when one integer may be negative;
> XOR doesn't.

Perhaps even more persuasively, the SWAP routine would be well defined
for LOGICAL arguments (which we allow for _DEFINE and _REF), whereas the
andxor version description is problematic for that case.

So, I'm convinced that both versions are useful.