(j3.2006) Fwd: PLEASE PROOF: My proposed response to ISO/CS w.r.t its recent "requirement" about document submission format. FEEDBACK DUE by 2010-11-01

Bill Long longb
Tue Oct 19 16:26:00 EDT 2010

Seems OK to me.  I would go one step farther and urge ISO to fire Trevor
Vyze.  How could we continue to have confidence in ISO if they fail to
remove someone so entirely clueless?  (Unless the hidden agenda here is
to terminate all of ISO's standardization activities.)

If there is a clear reason to require a Word version of the documents
(which would certainly have involved bribes/extortion) then we need to
insist on some basic requirements:

1) ISO has to pay the full cost of converting the PDF file into Word.
The conversion must be done by ISO or an outside vendor, not anyone
involved with the Project.

2) ISO shall pay at least 5 proof readers from the committee that
created the document a fee of $100/page to each reader to verify the
accuracy of the translation.

3) ISO is prohibited from publishing, or in any other way making
publicly available (for example, by posting on a web site),  the WORD
document.  The published version has to be the PDF file prepared by the
Project Editor.

Rex is free to use any of these ideas if he feels so inclined.

Bill Long                                           longb at cray.com