(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.4342) [ukfortran] 10-208r1

Reinhold Bader Reinhold.Bader
Thu Oct 14 10:26:06 EDT 2010

  Am 14.10.2010 04:12, schrieb malcolm at nag-j.co.jp:

[...]
>> (2) copy object from remote image to invoking image
> That's the problem.  You can't do that.  You can't do that because it has a polymorphic allocatable subcomponent.  On another image.  Copying the object involves copying the allocatable subcomponent.  Which requires knowing what *its* type is - not just how big it is itself but also whether *it* has any further allocatable subcomponents.

I understand that. What I don't understand is how the restriction makes the problem go
away. Presumably,

  SELECT TYPE(o_foo)
   TYPE IS (badfoo)
!----------******  (sorry for the cut-and-paste sloth from previous mail)
     CALL o_foo[2]%op(1)
   END SELECT

is legal, but also would require the above-mentioned copying of unknown amounts of data.
If it isn't legal for some other reason - why then do we need the restriction?

[...]

Regards
Reinhold