(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.4360) [ukfortran] WG5 informal ballot reInterop. TR

Malcolm Cohen malcolm
Tue Nov 30 22:11:51 EST 2010

Aleksandar Donev writes:

>E) Re UTI 1: I do not like "unlimited polymorphic", and in fact strongly prefer
>that it me made very clear assumed type has nothing to do with unlimited
>polymorphic. But the standardese may need some more work than I have time for.

But it *is* unlimited polymorphic.  It's certainly not "CLASS(*)", but it would
be wrong to say that it has "nothing to do with [it]".  And it is certainly
polymorphic (that is what "assumed type" actually means) and if it is not
limited as to what type it can assume, then it is also unlimited.

Not being able to do type enquiry, and not being able to copy it, does not make
it not unlimited polymorphic.

................................Malcolm Cohen, Nihon NAG, Tokyo.