(j3.2006) Fw: a question on MERGE and expression evaluation

Keith Bierman khbkhb
Thu Nov 18 17:28:55 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Jim Xia <jimxia at ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> I'm not convinced that all these answers are correct.  The quoted text in
> previous replied are from clause 7 (on expression), and what they say is
> "you can omit expression evaluation if you're sure what the expression must
> be evaluated to".  That's about operations evaluation like "expr1 .op.
> expr2" where you know the evaluation is true by evaluating expr1.  This is
> not what's happening here: "Merge(1/a, 0.0, a > 0)" is a function reference,
> right?  And 12.5.3 seems to say 1.0/a should be evaluated at the function
> call.
>

> What do we say about this mandate?

Obviously those of you actively working on the Standard should decide. My
input for what it's worth is that the cited answers are what the outcome
should be. MERGE is intrinsic, not a customer written function. "magic" aka
optimization should be encouraged to the greatest extent possible in the
Fortran tradition.

If someone really wants to enforce execution, they should write it
themselves, or wrap it in a user function (really good optimizers might see
through such artifices; but we never put in precise optimization barrier
instructions ;>).