(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.4355) How many Fortran programmers are there?

Tobias Burnus burnus
Wed Nov 17 17:10:59 EST 2010

Van Snyder wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 13:54 -0800, John Reid wrote:
>> I have been asked if I can estimate how many Fortran programmers there are. Does
>> anyone have any thoughts?
> 1.  Multiply the number of distinct names posting to comp.lang.fortran
> by some random number you pull out of your hat.
>
> 2.  Ask vendors how many licenses they sell.  Multiply that by a
> different random number you pull out of your hat to account for floating
> licenses and piracy.  Add yet another random number to account for GNU
> fortran users.

3. Goto http://www.google.com/trends?q=Fortran  - subtract the double
counts, add those users which do not google for it and tell us the exact
number (+/- 10% is sufficient).

More seriously: I find it quite interesting to look at the countries and
languages on that page. One sees that there are many users from
countries which are severely under represented in J3, WG5, c.l.f, GCC
bugreports etc.

Tobias

PS: Does anyone understand why Greece (inhabitants: 11.2 millions) comes
up that high?