(j3.2006) Did we overlook this intentionally?

Van Snyder Van.Snyder
Thu Nov 4 20:31:42 EDT 2010

In 10-007 12.5.2.4p13 [294:28-31], "If the actual argument is a
noncoindexed scalar, the corresponding dummy argument shall be scalar
unless the actual argument is default character, of type character with
the C character kind (15.2.2), or is an element or substring of an
element of an array that is not an assumed-shape, pointer, or
polymorphic array."

(This was somewhat liberalized in f03 compared to earlier versions,
where a scalar actual argument had to correspond to a scalar dummy
argument).

I assume the "pointer" caveat was to avoid discontiguous actual
arguments.

Did we intentionally not allow the case of contiguous pointers, or did
we just overlook this paragraph when we added the CONTIGUOUS attribute?