(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.4183) [ukfortran] Urgent: letter ballot on interps

Van Snyder Van.Snyder
Fri Feb 12 15:40:50 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 11:36 -0800, N.M. Maclaren wrote:
> On Feb 10 2010, Bill Long wrote:
> >
> >>  I believe
> >>
> >> It would assuredly be less confusing.
> >
> >The potential for confusion is  greater in F08.  In the context of the
> >F03 standard (against which the interp is formally filed),  one could
> >argue that only "experts" who knew about HYPOT from elsewhere would be
> >confused.  In F08 we actually have an intrinsic function with this name
> >and the same argument list.  The temptation to assume the Note is
> >referring to the same function as the one specified in Clause 13 seems
> >quite high to me.
>
> I would put it more strongly!  Yes, please rename it.  HYPOTENUSE would
> do.

I have a simpler name.  How about ""?

I have remarked several times that it is redundant with the L2 norm and
complex absolute value, for which we already provide intrinsic
functions.