(j3.2006) Interval arithmetic

Malcolm Cohen malcolm
Tue Mar 17 21:48:19 EDT 2009

Van Snyder wrote: A whole load of stuff that is complicated, irrelevant,
and probably incorrect.

The stuff about intrinsic vs. known-to-the-compiler was not a trivial
detail at the time; and continues to mislead.  Deliberately conflating
stuff that misleads might be thought as an indication that the arguments
are not in good faith.

But anyway, we started here with some grandiose claims about something
being "impossible".  Those claims have not been substantiated.  When
challenged, they were supported by claims about the x86 hardware being
deficient that were factually incorrect.

Furthermore, this continues to fall back on the subsidiary claim about
it being "impossible" *for us to do* because of an answer we gave to an
interp for a previous revision of the standard.  That's obviously
flat-out wrong.

I see no point in continuing a discussion with so many counterfactuals.
Life is too short for me to spend it repeatedly deconstructing the same
mistakes.

Sure go ahead, go around telling people that it's impossible for Fortran
to do interval arithmetic except via an intrinsic type.  Just don't
represent it as the considered view of the Fortran committee or of the
Fortran vendors.

(As Keith pointed out there are advantages to do with "sharpness" that
one can gain by compiler knowledge, and I would agree with that; but
that is a far cry from the notion that "register spills make it
impossible to obey 754".)

......................Malcolm Cohen, Nihon NAG, Tokyo.