(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.3932) Two requirements for critical software at JPL

Van Snyder Van.Snyder
Wed Jan 28 20:19:00 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 16:00 -0800, Bill Long wrote:

> I would note that our compiler (as a C program itself) contains an
> enormous number of asserts.  They help in pinpointing bugs closer to
> the point where something went wrong (as opposed to much farther down
> the execution sequence when the consequences of the bug manifest as a
> fatal error).  As such they are useful.  We also get complaints that
> the compiler is slow.  For a compiler that's not horribly serious.
> For production Fortran code poor performance is a non-starter.
> Different environments and different objectives.  At a minimum, if we
> wanted asserts in Fortran, there would have to be a simple way to make
> them appear to be comments to the compiler.  (Basically the old "D"
> lines.)

Dick's proposal (04-212) suggested something aimed in that direction.

Dan's proposals (04-14[234]) had more more concrete features aimed in
that direction.

--
Van Snyder                    |  What fraction of Americans believe
Van.Snyder at jpl.nasa.gov       |  Wrestling is real and NASA is fake?