(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.3930) Two requirements for critical software at JPL

Craig Dedo craig
Wed Jan 28 19:53:47 EST 2009

Everyone:
	I believe that asserts as part of the base language would be very
useful and highly desirable.  There are two ways I can think of right away
to be able to turn them on or off at will.
	1.  Use CoCo or another pre-processor.
	2.  Use some kind of prefix in front of the assert that could be
interpreted as a comment and then turn the assert on or off using a compiler
option.  Perhaps J3 and WG5 could standardize a prefix that would be used
for all ISO-defined optional statements.

	FWIW, I believe that a good choice would be "!ISO", for
"International Standards Organization", for a number of reasons.
	1.  I believe that this prefix is not used by any Fortran processor
or pre-processor.
	2.  It is along the lines of other prefixes defined by existing
Fortran compilers and also by third-party products such as HPF.
	3.  If a Fortran compiler has not yet been updated to include the
ISO-defined optional statements, !ISO statements will appear as comments and
be safely ignored.  Thus, the use of !ISO for a prefix will not break
existing programs.

	I strongly suspect that it is way too late in the development
process of Fortran 2008 to include it in the current draft.  Would J3 and
WG5 be willing to pursue this idea as a TR? What other development options
are there?   What do others think of this idea?

Sincerely,
Craig Dedo
17130 W. Burleigh Place
P. O. Box 423                Voice Phone:  (262) 783-5869
Brookfield, WI   53008-0423  Fax Phone:    (262) 783-5928
USA                          Mobile Phone:  (414) 412-5869
E-mail:  <cdedo at wi.rr.com> or <craig at ctdedo.com>