(j3.2006) (SC22WG5.3908) [ukfortran] [MPI3 Fortran] [MPI3 Fortran] MPI non-blocking transfers

Bill Long longb
Fri Jan 23 14:47:42 EST 2009

N.M. Maclaren wrote:

> Unless this one is resolved, the current situation will continue, and users
> who have problems will quite rightly claim that the reason is that Fortran
> is an inadequate language. That is a pity.

While I agree that we should make the effort to find a solution for MPI
users (Cray probably has the highest representation of them),  I would
not go as far as saying that the lack thereof makes Fortran an
"inadequate language".  After all, Fortran 2008 has a much better way of
doing parallel programming than MPI.  In that sense, it is a "superior
language".

Bill Long                                   longb at cray.com