(j3.2006) when does an error condition occur in executing EXECUTE_COMMAND_LINE

Keith Bierman khbkhb
Wed Jan 21 17:38:44 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Dan Nagle <dannagle at verizon.net> wrote:

> What is a command?  In Fortran, it's a processor-dependent s-d-c.
> What sort of command errors can occur?  I don't know,
> and without being processor-specific, neither do you.

Are there really Fortran 200x processors running on any processor that
isn't POSIX 1003 compliant for the most part?

The obvious "fix" is to define what happens in a POSIX environment.
Anywhere else it's the current status quo (but I imagine most vendors
would emulate the key POSIX behaviors over time). On POSIX systems a
variety of I/O, error conditions, command line processing, etc. would
all be portable.

Between Linux (owns much of the technical computing market now),
Windows (cgywin provides enough of a POSIX enviornment for most
purposes) Mac, and bit players like Sun and HP (non-linux bits of the
company) is there much of any other OS's seriously used by Fortran
programmers? (many RTOS's aren't POSIX compliant, but I'd be very
surprised if you could find Fortran200x compilers for them anyway.

--
Keith Bierman
khbkhb at gmail.com
kbiermank AIM