(j3.2006) [POSSIBLE SPAM] Re: Coindexed scalars, etc.

Aleksandar Donev donev1
Tue Jan 20 13:38:26 EST 2009

Hi John,
> Aleksandar Donev wrote:
>> I think the [] should always go at the end, after all the local
>> selectors, including substrings, so I vote for c(i)(l:r)[p]. For %Re and
>> %Im I agree that they should be treated as components.
>
> No. We don't have arrays of single characters, we have arrays of type character.
> Selecting a substring is like selecting a component of a structure. Anyway,
> I see this as a change not allowed by Resolution T7
I certainly did not indend to propose technical changes of any sort. I
thought this had not been decided before and the syntax did not decide
one way or another. Character strings have been messed up from thirty
years ago so I am not about to try to fix them. Go with whatever the
original design/intent was.
Aleks